This is one of those episodes that proves that you don’t know what you don’t know. We’re tackling the subject of health insurance – how to manage costs as an employer since it is such a big-ticket cost for most agencies.
I’ve been an agency owner for the past 25 years or so, and health insurance is something I want to offer because I value my team and want to provide a generous benefit package. But when renewal time comes around, I’m always wondering what kind of increase is coming. Like most of you, it’s usually in the double digits and super painful. Someone (me or my employees) has to endure that increase or we have to increase the deductible or reduce features.
One thing I do know: For all of us, healthcare costs typically one of our biggest expenses and feels completely out of our control.
I wanted to tap into the wisdom of Allison De Paoli, who works with businesses to get more out of every healthcare insurance dollar. She offered some incredible insight on managing the costs, increase the benefits to your team and protect yourself when it comes to renewals.
A veteran of the insurance and benefits industry, Allison and her firm are members of Next Generation Benefits Network (NBN). NBN is a national alliance of elite independent benefits firms that are successfully challenging the healthcare status quo to improve benefits for employees, while reducing the costs for employers.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- Creative ways to manage your healthcare line item
- The difference between a level-funded plan and a standard premium plan
- Cost savings and other benefits of telehealth programs
- Finding a benefits advisor who will truly advocate for your best interests
- How to make sure employees of every age are getting the right kind of medical care
- Hidden drivers of healthcare costs
- The role and surprisingly affordable cost of a direct primary care doctor
- Why self-funded plans are not as scary as you might think
- How a health savings account can act as a retirement savings vehicle
The Golden Nuggets:“The best places to go for treatment are normally not the most expensive. Places that know how to do something generally do it well and for an appropriate price.” – @acdepaoli Click To Tweet “A good care management firm will contact an employee until they reach them, and then have a real conversation about what is going on and next steps in the process.” – @acdepaoli Click To Tweet “Being fully insured without understanding the policy details is the riskiest strategy of all because you have no control.” – @acdepaoli Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to Contact Allison De Paoli:
- Website: allisondepaoli.com/build/
- Book: https://amzn.to/2SYJWyM
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/allison-de-paoli-b48825/