We talk to clients about positioning every single day. We walk them through differentiation strategies. When they don’t take our advice, we walk away shaking our heads. However, guess who is lousy at taking our own medicine!
I say this all the time, but it bears repeating: Being a generalist is not going to cut it in today’s marketplace. Getting clear on your subject-matter expertise – the heart of your differentiation – has never been more important. I don’t think there is a way to overstate that point.
On episode #181 of Build a Better Agency, I talk with David C. Baker, who has seen it all as a consultant, often working with design firms and agencies. It’s why he wrote the book The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth.
He speaks regularly on more than 70 topics relevant to entrepreneurial expertise and also appears as a guest on many entrepreneurial focused podcasts.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- The most egregious mistake agency owners make
- Why “seats on the agency bus” does not always equal success
- Why establishing subject-matter expertise is more important than ever
- The ideal numbers of prospects and competitors that define strong differentiation
- How to measure and demonstrate your subject-matter expertise
- Why your geographic reach is an important metric
- Why employees are not as interchangeable as they once were
- How to elevate training in agency culture
- Why 85% of agencies are niched vertically