As agency owners, we all want to hire the mystical, magical salesperson that will allow us to hand that task to someone other than us. Can it be done? Yes, but probably not the way you think or wish it would happen.
Sales is a challenging activity no matter what you’re selling. Selling for agencies, even more so.
In this solocast, I will walk you through the make-up of that unicorn of a salesperson so you can spot one out in the wild. I’ll help you identify some prime places to search what traits are non-negotiable, and how to build a compensation package, if you happen to find one.
Even if you find this unicorn of a salesperson, you won’t be able to walk away completely. I’ll also discuss the agency owner’s role in the biz dev process. With the right people, the right assets, and the right communication, you’ll be well on your way to a successful sales operation for your agency.
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- What makes agency owners uniquely qualified to be the best agency salespeople
- What an outside salesperson has to understand about your niche to sell for your agency
- The traits of a good salesperson
- The different kinds of agencies and how that impacts salespeople’s success rates
- A compensation model for outside salespeople and how long it will take them to start making sales
- What assets salespeople need to set them up for success
- Why salespeople need access to the agency owner
The Golden Nuggets:“There is no one who is as good at selling what your agency does as you are.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “You have to be good at sales if you want to keep the machine running.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “When I look at agencies that have successful salespeople, often that person has grown up in the agency.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “How your agency is built and what you sell is absolutely going to be a key factor in a salesperson’s success or failure.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “If you're going to hire a salesperson, understand that this is someone that you should look long and hard for.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet
Drew McLellan is the CEO at Agency Management Institute. He has also owned and operated his own agency since 1995 and is still actively running the agency today. Drew’s unique vantage point as being both an agency owner and working with 250+ small- to mid-size agencies throughout the year gives him a unique perspective on running an agency today.
AMI works with agency owners by:
- Leading agency owner peer groups
- Offering workshops for owners and their leadership teams
- Offering AE Bootcamps
- Conducting individual agency owner coaching
- Doing on-site consulting
- Offering online courses in agency new business and account service
Because he works with those 250+ agencies every year, Drew has the unique opportunity to see the patterns and the habits (both good and bad) that happen over and over again. He has also written two books and been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called his blog “One of 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to contact Drew McLellan:
- Email: [email protected]
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/drewmclellan
- Website: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/
Tools & Resources:
- Get 10 hours for FREE for a Project with More than 50 Hours with White Label Here.