It doesn’t matter if you are a small shop, a specialized shop, in a major market, or based in rural areas – odds are, your biggest struggle right now is attracting and retaining talent. Many agency owners are losing sleep over staffing up or even worse, losing one of their key players. Interestingly, how you’re hiring may be one of the reasons your tenured employees are giving notice.
Right now, employees and prospective employees hold all the cards. They are being recruited by organizations that can pay better than any agency and offer what appears to be a more stable, slower-paced work environment. What is an agency owner to do?
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you should make people work harder for the privilege of working for you. In this episode of Build a Better Agency, we’ll walk through how playing a little hard to get will earn you better prospects and future employees and keep your current employees satisfied.
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- Why there is such a high turnover rate in agencies across the country
- What you can do to attract and retain top talent
- Why you should play hard to get, despite the challenges of hiring
- How to strengthen your interview process to make better hires
- What to look for in potential candidates for your team
The Golden Nuggets:“I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but a tough labor market is exactly when you should play hard to get in your hiring practices.” @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “Now is the time to be more judicious in the hiring process.” @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “Just because someone can do the work does not mean they are a good fit for your agency.” @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “Right now, most agencies are struggling to find and keep great talent.” @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “In your agency, there is no decision more important than who is on the team.” @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet
AMI works with agency owners by:
- Leading agency owner peer groups
- Offering workshops for owners and their leadership teams
- Offering AE Bootcamps
- Conducting individual agency owner coaching
- Doing on-site consulting
- Offering online courses in agency new business and account service
Because he works with those 250+ agencies every year, Drew has the unique opportunity to see the patterns and the habits (both good and bad) that happen over and over again. He has also written two books and been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called his blog “One of 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to contact Drew McLellan:
- Email: [email protected]
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/drewmclellan
- Website: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/
Tools & Resources:
- Agency Owner Life Plan: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ami-OwnerLifePlan.pdf
- Agency One Page Business Plan: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ami-businessplan.pdf
- Adam Carroll’s Podcast: https://masteryofmoney.lpages.co/babl-blueprint/