Episode 61: Improving Your Public Speaking, with Tamsen Webster.
Part “idea whisperer,” part message strategist, and part presentation coach, Tamsen Webster helps people and organizations like Verizon, State Street Bank, Ericsson, Johnson & Johnson, and Disney find and communicate the power of their ideas. She is the Executive Producer of TEDxCambridge, one of the oldest and largest locally organized TED talk events in the world. She is also Executive Communications Coach with Oratium, a messaging consultancy. In former lives, she worked in both agencies and at nonprofits heading up brand, marketing, and fundraising communication strategy, along with a brief but enduring turn as a change management consultant. She’s also also a retired Weight Watchers leader and an accidental marathoner.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why speaking is the best tool for convincing someone that your agency is the best agency for them
- Why you need to make your speeches about your audience and not about you
- Mistakes that agencies make in pitches all the time
- How to structure your new business presentations so that you win the business
- Why you want people to remember the one big idea of your presentation — not specific tactics
- How to develop a thought leadership presentation
- Why niched presentations are a lot more effective than broad ones
- “Why,” “what now,” and “how” talks: what’s different about these kind of presentations
- How to structure a talk when you are given a general topic that you have to speak on
- Why you should stop before the sell when you’re presenting to gain awareness for your business
- Why creating an event is a great way to get good at speaking
- How to find other speaking engagements
- Why you need to grab testimonials from speaking engagements and video of your speeches
- How to unravel a failed speech to make sure it works in the future
The Golden Nugget:“When you’re presenting to gain awareness, stop before the sell.” – @tamadear Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to Contact Tamsen Webster:
- Website: tamsenwebster.com