Drew McLellan is the Top Dog at Agency Management Institute. For the past 21 years, he has also owned and operated his own agency. Drew’s unique vantage point as being both an active agency owner and working with 250+ small- to mid-size agencies throughout the year, give him a unique perspective on running an agency today.
AMI works with agency owners by:
- Leading agency owner peer groups
- Offering workshops for owners and their leadership teams
- Offering AE bootcamps
- Conducting individual agency owner coaching
- Doing on-site consulting
- Offering online courses in agency new business and account service
Because he works with those 250+ agencies every year — he has the unique opportunity to see the patterns and the habits (both good and bad) that happen over and over again. He has also written two books and been featured in The New York Times, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called his blog “One of 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why you have to measure inside your agency
- The AGI/FTE ratio: why you should be aiming for this to be 150,000 (and why many agencies struggle to reach this goal)
- Measuring over/under on projects: how often are you over, how often are you under, and by how much?
- Why you need to look at profitability on a client by client basis (and how to know when to fire a client due to profitability)
- Why you need a minimum standard AGI for all your clients
- Why you absolutely need to use timesheets inside your agency (and why this doesn’t mean you should bill by the hour)
The Golden Nugget:“When something matters enough to measure it, that’s when you move the needle.” – @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to contact Drew McLellan:
- Email: [email protected]
We’re proud to announce that Hubspot is now the presenting sponsor of the Build A Better Agency podcast! Many thanks to them for their support!