Thought leadership is one of those buzzwords that has been so overused, it has almost been rendered meaningless. But as Stephen Woessner and I preach to agency owners in our book, Sell with Authority, when done well for the right reasons, being an authority can drive significant revenue for your agency. Stephen’s agency, Predictive ROI, decided they wanted to quantify the value of thought leadership so they engaged Susan Baier (Audience Audit) to do some research to answer the question “is there an ROI to being a thought leader?”
Creating unique, relevant content targeting a very narrow niche is time-consuming. Is there a payoff? How does it impact both new sales and retaining clients? Does it influence the sales cycle? How do people define what is and isn’t a true authority?
In this episode of Build a Better Agency, Susan and Stephen join us to share the data that came out of the research and the implications that data has for us as agency owners, both as we think about our own biz dev but also how we advise clients about their own thought leadership efforts.
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- How agency owners can use data to measure the value of thought leadership
- The origins of Susan and Stephen’s research about the ROI of being an authority
- The research methodology Susan used for the ROI of thought leadership study
- What Susan and Stephen’s study uncovered about people’s attitudes/beliefs toward experts in their field
- The distinguishing characteristics that others use to determine if someone truly is an authority
- How referrals are impacted by someone’s position of authority
- The big takeaways of the study on the ROI of thought leadership and how to apply them in your agency
Ways to contact Susan Baier:
- Website: audienceaudit.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AudienceAudit/
- Twitter: @susanbaier
Ways to contact Stephen Woessner:
- Sell With Authority by Drew McLellan and Stephen Woessner: https://amzn.to/39y7x13
- Website: https://predictiveroi.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PredictiveROI/
- Twitter: @stephenwoessner