Gerald Sexton is Director of Employee Enablement at Goodway Group.
Gerald joined Goodway in early 2016 and brings significant experience in leveraging human resources to improve business performance and employee experience. Throughout his career, he has worked in the consulting, medical, aerospace and defense, and satellite-entertainment industries. His most recent position as Senior Human Resources (HR) Manager for DIRECTV’s premier customer-retention center in Boise, Idaho, allowed him to demonstrate just how much impact a strong HR partnership can have. Using an integrated approach with site leadership, Gerald helped the site reduce attrition by 7 percent, creating three million in cost savings.
He holds a BS in psychology and an MA in organizational psychology. His fascination with solving complex problems in organizations led him to a career in HR with a strong emphasis on talent and organizational development.
Gerald has a passion for cooking and enjoys traveling (and eating food from) all over the world. He lives in Boise with his wife, Robyn, and daughter, Rowan.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The history of Goodway Group
- How Goodway succeeds with a virtual company with employees in 41 states
- The best tools for managing a virtual company
- What Gerald looks for in the hiring process to figure out if someone is suited for the hiring process or not
- Why Goodway looks at their team members results — not their hours working
- How to build and maintain a strong company culture when running a virtual team
- Goodway’s twice-yearly all company meet-up
- The costs involved in a virtual team
- The benefits of working from home — both on personal and business life
- Giving your team the freedom to plan out their day in a way that works best for them
- Why leaders of virtual teams need to be great at giving feedback and being transparent
- Why — if you’re not comfortable going all virtual — you should start small — but not too small — and build from there
- Benefits Goodway offers their employees that they couldn’t offer if they had a physical location
- How to get started trying going virtual
The Golden Nugget:“Leaders of virtual teams need to be great at giving feedback and being transparent.” – Gerald Sexton Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
We’re proud to announce that Hubspot is now the presenting sponsor of the Build A Better Agency podcast! Many thanks to them for their support!