A lot of agency owners say to me, “Drew, I know you’re running your own agency and I know you’re running AMI. I know you’ve got some other things on the side like real estate. How in the world do you get it all done and how do you keep yourself organized, on track, and on-time?” So for today’s solocast, I want to talk about how you can get more out of your day.
I know that I may give the impression of being able to get it all done – but I never do. Let me be very clear about that. I don’t. I don’t want to say to you that my “To Do” list is ever empty because it’s not. But it’s manageable and I keep everything moving forward like I need to.
Like many of you, I have spent years trying to crack the nut of my own productivity. I’ve tested tools, tried tricks and heaped hacks into my day. Over the years, I’ve developed a reliable system for managing my world and my day so the most important things get done every day.
And that’s what I’d like to share with you in this solocast. It is my own blend of habits, tools and disciplines that allow me to consistently get all of the important things within AMI, my own agency and the rest of my business dealings done while still being able to take time away to relax and be with family and friends.
It’s possible and it can happen for you, too. I am going to share all of the tools I use, my daily habits, and what I think is my secret weapon for how I move through my day to make it all work.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How I use a task list management tool or electronic “To Do” list to keep myself on track
- Why I break my to do list into “buckets” so they are easy to manage and less daunting
- How I use my “secret weapon” to prioritize all my buckets and identify my the three things that absolutely must get done the next day
- Why I think it is important for me to own and manage my own calendar
- How I take control by chunking my calendar into time blocks that give me the space I need to get all of the daily priorities done
- How a simple tool like an orange traffic cone could be a game changer for you and everyone on your team
- Why I am a huge fan of taking time out and being absent from the office
- My travel routine for how I set up my hotel room, how I unpack everything to stay organized, and the stuff I keep with me at all times
- My thought process for deciding if I should keep a task on my list or delegate it to someone on my team
- My biggest time saving tip
- How I knit all of this together into a system that keeps me on track and on time
Drew McLellan is the CEO at Agency Management Institute. He has also owned and operated his own agency since 1995 and is still actively running the agency today. Drew’s unique vantage point as being both an agency owner and working with 250+ small- to mid-size agencies throughout the year gives him a unique perspective on running an agency today.
AMI works with agency owners by:
- Producing the weekly Build A Better Agency podcast
- Leading agency owner peer groups
- Offering workshops for owners and their leadership teams
- Offering AE Bootcamps
- Conducting individual agency owner coaching
- Doing on site consulting
- Offering online courses in agency new business and account service
Because he works with those 250+ agencies every year — Drew has the unique opportunity to see the patterns and the habits (both good and bad) that happen over and over again. He has also written two books and been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called his blog “One of 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
The Golden Nuggets:“My secret weapon for time management is Post-it Notes. Every night I look at the week’s to do list and write down 3 things on a Post-it Note that must get done the next day. Then my goal is to get at least 2 done before noon.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “Chunking out time on my calendar is an important part of my daily routine. I block out large chunks of time, whole days or half-days, around all of the priorities that need to get done.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “I am a fan of taking time out. It forces your team to solve problems without you. Take a half or whole day and don’t go into the office. You’re going to be stunned at how much you get done when you can crank through the work.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “When I put things into Wunderlist, and when I write things down on my daily Post-it note, I always write a “Yes” or a “No” next to each task which tells me if I should delegate it to someone on my team or keep it.” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet “Turn off the notifications for email on your laptop and your phone. If you were in a client meeting, you would. Why do you think the time you spend actually doing your work is less important than the time you spend with clients?” - @DrewMcLellan Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to contact Drew McLellan:
We’re proud to announce that Hubspot is now the presenting sponsor of the Build A Better Agency podcast! Many thanks to them for their support!