Lawyers, financial planners and insurance salespeople. You joke about avoiding them at cocktail parties, but they are definitely not who you should avoid as agency owners. Many owners think of attorneys as an expense. I can tell you – the preventative investment you make with a lawyer to get a good contract and other tools is a pittance compared to what I have seen agencies lose when they don’t have those good tools.
If you are a high-risk gambler – grab a contract off the internet and use that.
That’s why I invited Jamie Lieberman, founder of Hashtag Legal LLC, to be my guest on this episode of Build a Better Agency. She has over 15 years of legal experience and specializes in helping agency owners protect themselves before they get into hot water.
Jamie brings extensive experience in contract creation and negotiation IP issues agencies face, web and mobile app terms and conditions, and influencer marketing legalities.
Settle in – she’s ready to give you a free hour of legal counsel!
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here: https://www.whitelabeliq.com/ami/
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- Why you need to find the right attorney for your agency
- The absolute necessity of drawing up the right contracts for your agency and some characteristics of the ideal contract
- How agencies can (and should) protect themselves from potentially hazardous legal situations caused by clients
- The ins and outs of independent contractors and how to avoid legal headaches and fines
- Navigating non-compete and non-solicitation agreements for employees and contractors
- The importance of confidentiality agreements and defining what constitutes confidential information
- Claiming domain names while avoiding copyright or trademark infringement
- Why agencies owners should stay abreast of popular trends in the industry, especially in areas such as influencer marketing