Steve Boehler is a founding partner at Mercer Island Group – a strategic management and marketing consultancy. The company has three key practice areas: strategic business consulting, organization effectiveness, and client-agency relationships. They help companies and executives succeed. One of the ways they do that is by helping them better position themselves and sell more effectively by better bonding with prospects around the prospects’ needs. They work with agencies of all sizes and types as well as consult to major clients in the US and across the globe like Microsoft, Ulta Beauty, PetSmart, Starbucks and many other fine firms.
Steve started his career at Procter & Gamble – in his decade there he was the second youngest brand manager in that venerable company’s history, turned around the Pringle’s business, led Jif Peanut Butter to market leadership, and turned around the Tide business.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why clients likely don’t know about your agency and why you have to make yourself findable
- The importance of consistency with content creation
- Making your pitch unique so that it stands out from other agencies (and why agencies struggle with this so much)
- Selling and pitching: why it’s all about the prospect and their business and not about you
- The importance of doing your homework and actually bringing that homework into your presentation
- What to ask every client person in a pitch meeting to get them all involved
- Why you need to get prospects to agree to an agenda for a pitch meeting
- How getting prospects to define a problem helps to get them to buy into your solution
- Why you need to limit how you introduce your agency in a pitch to five slides (and what should be on those slides)
- What to leave with a prospect after the pitch
- Why you have to pitch to win
The Golden Nugget:“Only pitch if you're pitching to win.” – @MIG_Steve Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to contact Steve Boehler:
We’re proud to announce that Hubspot is now the presenting sponsor of the Build A Better Agency podcast! Many thanks to them for their support!