The challenge with digital trends is that they are moving so swiftly, it’s hard to keep up. There are so many shiny objects flying around our heads, it’s dizzying. How do you know which ones are worth tracking and learning?
That’s where this week’s guest comes in. Tom Webster is the senior vice president at Edison Research. Edison is probably best known outside our world for being the sole provider of exit poll data during United States elections. But from our agency vantage point, most of us know Edison for their annual study, the Infinite Dial. The Infinite Dial remains the longest-running study of consumer behaviors around media and technology in America, and serves as the digital media trends bible for many since its inception in 1998.
The work that Tom and his team at Edison, along with partner Triton Research, have done for decades is highly anticipated every year and provides mission-critical information to agencies throughout the world. We’re going to dig into the data and find some surprises for you.
Tom Webster has nearly 20 years of experience researching consumer usage of technology, new media, and social networking. In addition to The Infinite Dial, he is the principal author of a number of widely-cited studies, including The Social Habit and Twitter Users in America. He is also the co-author of The Mobile Commerce Revolution, and a popular keynote speaker on data and consumer insights.
What You Will Learn in this Episode:
- How the social media landscape is shifting
- Why podcasting is becoming more popular
- What works – and what doesn’t – in podcast advertising
- The ins and outs of brand lift
- Why being a ‘capital S’ show is important in terms of podcast popularity
- A deep dive into the data from The Infinite Dial 2019
- Why starting with the audience is critical for all good content
- The work ahead of us in entering the voice assistant space
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Ways to Contact Tom Webster:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomwebster/
- The Infinite Dial: https://www.edisonresearch.com/infinite-dial-2019/