It’s a bit of a milestone episode here, episode 155. It seems like an odd number to celebrate, but it means this podcast has been going strong for three years now! (52 weeks = 156 episodes) So thanks for listening, whether you’ve been around since the beginning, or this is your first time here!
As I speak with agency owners and decision-makers every day about their agencies and their business development efforts (or lack thereof!), we talk about the value of niching their agency. It’s the old brain surgeon versus general practitioner and the relative value proposition of each.
Your niches (note the plural) can be industry-specific, a certain methodology or in some limited cases – a specialty (PPC, etc.). But what do you do when you’ve narrowed down the niches you want to serve?
That’s what this solocast is all about. How do you actually walk out your talk and live/sell and profit from your niches?
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why establishing niches for your agency is so important
- How many niches should an agency have and why?
- How do you promote your agency’s special sauce/niches and expertise
- How sweet spot clients intersect with your niches
- The business development process to sell to your niches
- Why helping your clients be better at their job is the heart of your biz dev plan
- What to do with those clients outside your niches that you don’t want to fire
Drew McLellan is the CEO at Agency Management Institute. He has also owned and operated his own agency since 1995 and is still actively running the agency today. Drew’s unique vantage point as being both an agency owner and working with 250+ small- to mid-size agencies throughout the year gives him a unique perspective on running an agency today.
AMI works with agency owners by:
- Leading agency owner and key executive peer groups
- Offering workshops for owners and their leadership teams
- Offering AE Bootcamps
- Conducting individual agency owner coaching
- Doing on site consulting
- Offering online courses in agency new business and account service
Because he works with those 250+ agencies every year — Drew has the unique opportunity to see the patterns and the habits (both good and bad) that happen over and over again. He has also written two books and been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called his blog “One of 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
The Golden Nuggets:“There isn't a magic formula to this. You, you have to look at your niches and decide which one needs to be built up, and which one that you have the best shot at building up quickly and successfully.” – @drewmclellan Click To Tweet “For developing a successful content strategy, I advise using the following mantra: How can I help you, prospective client, be better at your job today?” – @drewmclellan Click To Tweet “One of the biggest mistakes agencies make is they lunge at the sale and they scare away the prospect.” – @drewmclellan Click To Tweet “Successful agencies have these things in common: they carve out their niches and they own them with their subject matter expertise.” – @drewmclellan Click To Tweet
Subscribe to Build A Better Agency!
Helpful Resources from this Episode:
- Sweet Spot Client Filter: http://bit.ly/2O1m3Y0
- Content Marketing For Agencies Workshop: http://bit.ly/2O29OdO
- Agency New Business Blueprint: http://bit.ly/2MNkGaN
Ways to contact Drew McLellan:
We’re proud to announce that Hubspot is now the presenting sponsor of the Build A Better Agency podcast! Many thanks to them for their support!