For many agency owners systems is the S Word. We bristle at the idea of being confined. It feels like an attempt to stifle our creativity and ability to think out of the box. But if we’re honest with ourselves, there’s a lot of wash-rinse-repeat in our work every day. And without systems (which I translate to “the agency’s way of doing something) everyone develops their own way of accomplishing each and every task. Not only does that mean we are inconsistent at best but it also means that if that employees leaves, so does their tribal knowledge. This is a problem we can and should solve.
My guest for this episode is Josh Fonger, a Business Performance Architect and co-founder of the company, Work The System. The company is based on a book by the same name by Sam Carpenter and exists to help people implement the concepts. If you loved Michael Gerber’s book The E-Myth, but wished he’d told you HOW to follow his recommendations, you’ll love hearing from Josh.
In our conversation, Josh outlines not only why systems are important but the specific steps you can take to build them into your agency, no matter how long your agency has been around or how you’re functioning today. While the work may not seem sexy, once the processes are in place, you’ll love the reduction of mistakes, the ability to scale and the increase in profitability.
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev, or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- Practical tips for how to create systems for your agency
- Why processes actually create more space for creativity
- How the tribal knowledge method can fail you
- Examples of how documenting systems allow you to productize your service
- How to get started when it all feels so overwhelming
- The agency owner’s role in building systems
- How to document processes in a way that your team will actually reference them
- How to get everyone (including the company owner) to follow the process once it’s in place
- Productivity tips for how agency owners can extract themselves from the day-to-day in order to concentrate on business development.
Ways to contact Josh Fonger:
- Website: https://workthesystem.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshfonger/
- Twitter: @fongerj