Project management is a challenge for every agency, regardless of their size or tenure. Many agencies have a physical project board on a wall or are using Excel spreadsheets to try to keep everything in check. Unfortunately, these rudimentary project management systems end up costing agencies time, money, and even clients. But it does not have to be a source of frustration or profit evaporation.
If your agency has been resisting a project management system, it’s time to recognize that you are choosing to put your agency at risk. A shop without a more sophisticated tool and process for getting the work done on time and on budget will experience missed deadlines, scope create and frustrated clients. It’s not ideal from your team’s perspective either. No one wants to drop the ball or disappoint a client or teammate.
Agency owner Peter Coppinger knew all of this too well. His own shop, located in Dublin, Ireland was struggling to find a tool that would help them keep everyone in alignment and manage all of the details of every job without fail. That frustration led them to decide to design a project management tool of their own, Teamwork, which is one of the more popular options among agencies throughout the world. His software now powers more than 20,000 businesses.
During our conversation, Peter walks through the common mistakes agency owners make with project management and some best practices for overcoming them – all with the goal of profitably growing and scaling your agency.
A big thank you to our podcast’s presenting sponsor, White Label IQ. They’re an amazing resource for agencies who want to outsource their design, dev, or PPC work at wholesale prices. Check out their special offer (10 free hours!) for podcast listeners here.
What You Will Learn in This Episode:
- Pitfalls that many agencies face when it comes to getting the work done
- Why agencies should be tracking and charging for every little piece of work they do
- Peter’s best practices for managing projects effectively in the agency world
- What characteristics agencies should look for in their search for a qualified project manager
- Why effective project management is the key to growth and scale
Ways to contact Peter Coppinger:
- Website: https://www.teamwork.com/
- Website: https://www.instantagencytools.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-coppinger-03284b/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/teamwork-com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamworkHQ
- Twitter: @teamwork
- Twitter: @irlTopper